Thank you for inviting us over for lunch today. You have been visiting us for Chinese New Year for years, traveling the distance to spend a few hours with us. It is nice to be able to visit YOU now for a change.
Our families have always been there for each other, haven't they? Grandma tells me stories of how your mother used to visit the house with food to feed the hungry children. Your family treated mine with great respect and love during the difficult years when Grandma wasn't held in very high regard in society.
As the wife of a thieving man whose children had to work after school to put food on the table, Grandma knew hardship more intimately than any one of us can claim. Society was a little more primitive then, and charity was not as common as it is now. Grandma said that the company and support of your family meant more than luxury of life.
One of my sweetest childhood memories is spending an evening with your family in the fishing village. It was so cool that your house was also a candy store from which I was free to take anything I wished. Three square meals meant nothing because we were munching away the whole day. In hindsight, I wonder how you managed a bunch of kids on sugar highs.
You can choose your friends, but you can't choose your relatives. I'm just glad that I have your family as relatives.
Our families have always been there for each other, haven't they? Grandma tells me stories of how your mother used to visit the house with food to feed the hungry children. Your family treated mine with great respect and love during the difficult years when Grandma wasn't held in very high regard in society.
As the wife of a thieving man whose children had to work after school to put food on the table, Grandma knew hardship more intimately than any one of us can claim. Society was a little more primitive then, and charity was not as common as it is now. Grandma said that the company and support of your family meant more than luxury of life.
One of my sweetest childhood memories is spending an evening with your family in the fishing village. It was so cool that your house was also a candy store from which I was free to take anything I wished. Three square meals meant nothing because we were munching away the whole day. In hindsight, I wonder how you managed a bunch of kids on sugar highs.
You can choose your friends, but you can't choose your relatives. I'm just glad that I have your family as relatives.
No comments:
Post a Comment